Position Title: Recreation Specialist
Supervisor’s Title: Recreation Services Manager
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Positions Supervised: Recreation Leader I
Classification: Part Time Benefits Eligible (20-40 hours a week)
Benefits: PenMet Parks offers a robust benefits package, which include paid staff training and orientation, health and dental benefits, accrued vacation and sick Leave, paid holidays, state retirement program, long-term disability and life insurance, and a discount on most Park District classes while employed for employees and dependents.
Rate of Pay: 10-step salary scale, hiring $21.07 – $26.02/hr step 5. Starting wage DOE.
Temporary Summer Increased Rate of Pay: June 16th-August 31st: +$3.93/hr to regular wage.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the assigned supervisor, the Recreation Specialist advances the mission of PenMet Parks by assisting with the delivery of a variety of recreation programs for youth, teens, adults, seniors, and individuals with disabilities. The Recreation Specialist works with the Recreation Services team on PenMet Parks special events, summer camps, youth sports, and other programs. This position will work between 20-40 hours per week based on programming need with more hours allocated during summer months for summer camps. Full benefits are provided.
Assists with planning, implementation, and coordination of recreational activities and special events for youth, teens, and adults.
• Works with the Recreation Coordinators and the Recreation Manager on the development and coordination of
recreational programs which promote inclusion, equity, and safety for all participants.
• Communicates with participants, families, caregivers, and community agencies to determine participant’s
health/medical, social, physical, and intellectual needs and abilities.
• Under the direction of the Supervisor, selects, purchases, and maintains equipment and supplies for program,
working within the assigned budget.
• Provides on-site leadership and instruction to program participants in specific areas. Leads program participants in
recreation programs and activities in assigned areas.
• Act in a leadership role over an assigned program (site supervisor). Supervise volunteers, staff, and program
participants to meet the needs of the activity, event, or program. Take an active role in mentoring and developing all
staff and volunteers to meet high standards for program excellence.
• Provides instruction to program participants in recreation programs and activities in assigned areas.
• Responds to customer questions and provides information to staff and participants regarding program registration,
scheduling, and fees.
• Provides recreational services to meet participation targets. Reviews budget and performance data to inform daily
• Assists in promoting and marketing recreation activities in the community with promotional and advertising
materials such as flyers, brochures, and other media resources.
• Performs a variety of administrative tasks in support of recreation programs. Completes and maintains proper forms,
reports, and information for the program.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• One year working with youth in a recreation setting.
• Successful completion of pre-employment background check.
• Successful completion of pre-employment reference check.
• Valid State Driver’s License with proof of satisfactory driving record.
• CPR, First AID, and AED Certification within the last year.
• Bachelor’s degree in recreation, early childhood education, psychology, or related field.
• Certification in CPR, First Aid, blood borne pathogens, and AED (or obtained within 90 days of hire).
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge and proficiency working with youth in a recreational or childcare setting.
• Knowledge and proficiency working with people of all ages with various needs.
• Knowledge and skill in designing and leading recreation activities including classes, camps, and special events.
• Communicates effectively and maintains effective working relationships with program staff, participants,
volunteers, parents, and the public.
• Takes initiative with minimal supervision.
• Proficient in the use of automated word processing programs, spreadsheet programs, related graphics, and office
• Assesses the work to be performed and sets appropriate priorities and realistic time parameters.
• Uses a variety of culturally proficient approaches to address, manage and resolve concerns, disagreements, and
conflict. Is able to find common ground to successfully mediate conflict and build cooperation between individuals
and groups with different perspectives.
• Identifies opportunities and issues and acts to capitalize on or resolve them for the benefit of the organization’s
• Proficient in providing emergency first aid and CPR as needed and according to established guidelines.
• Works collaboratively with others to achieve shared goals and make decisions.
• Generates unique methods, ideas, insights, and connections that challenge the status quo to expand possibilities.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• Work is performed in an office environment, recreation facilities, and outdoors at various parks and properties.
• Some work will be performed in settings with exposure to varying environmental and weather conditions.
• The position will occasionally be required to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
• This position will require seeing, talking, walking, standing, bending, crouching, crawling, carrying, pushing, and
• Prolonged periods of time may be spent using a computer, telephone, and other office equipment.
• Some local traveling will be required for meetings and visiting District facilities.
• This position may work an irregular schedule that includes some evenings and weekends as dictated by District
programs and special events.
PenMet Parks is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
PenMet Parks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If this position looks like a fit for you, submit your resume to [email protected]
Compensación: $21.07 – $26.02/hr DOE
job title: Recreation Specialist
tipo de empleo: tiempo parcial